Sarah Humphrey, based in Sydney, is currently concluding a bachelor of Visual Arts, majoring in glass at Sydney College of the Arts.
With a background in textiles, sculpture and sound, Sarah’s recent practice focuses on traditional glass techniques, particularly lost wax casting. Most of her glass work has kinetic or interactive elements. A common aim across her work is to take glass “off the shelf”.
Sarah’s current body of work explores classical music performance. She has been producing functioning electric glass string instruments and working with Classical musicians. These performance works are somewhat autobiographical – the merging of her crafts for the enjoyment and entertainment of an audience. They also address the inaccessibility of the “high culture” Classical music world and – to a degree – the art world. They aim to welcome a more varied audience to be immersed in these two spheres within the framework of the performance space.
Sarah aspires to continue more collaborative work with musicians, composers, sound designers and film makers to further explore the potentials of glass instrumentation and performance.
Sarah’s work is represented in the National Glass Art Collection, having been acquired after winning the National Glass Art Student Prize in 2013.
- 2011-present: Bachelor of Visual Arts, Glass Major, Sydney College of the Arts
- 2014: The Unique Genius Loci of the Space master class in hot glass, with Petr Stanicky, Northlands
- 2014: Are You Experienced? Master class in neon and hot glass, with Richard Wheater, Northlands Creative
- 2010: ARTEXPRESS, travelling exhibition
- 2011: SCA glass studio end of year show
- 2012: SCA glass studio mid-year show
- 2012: SCA glass studio end of year show
- 2013: One Night at the GLASStonbury, SCA glass studio
- 2013: Ausglass Collectives Conference, Wagga Wagga National Glass Gallery
- 2013: Fragility Speedshow, Verge Gallery
- 2013: Chromaticism Speedshow, Verge Gallery
- 2013: Undergraduate Degree Show, SCA
- 2014: National Student Art Glass Prize, Wagga Wagga National Art Glass Gallery
- 2014: An Art Exhibition, Pjorn Gallery (ARI)
- 2014: Through the Looking Glass, Pjorn Gallery (ARI)
- 2014: The Angles Stole My Telephone Box, Pjorn Gallery (ARI)
- 2014: National Student Art Glass Prize
- 2012-13: teacher assistant to Jane Gavan, casting class SCA
- 2013: assistant to glass artist Stevie Fieldsend
- 2014: teacher assistant to Eliot Brand, hot blowing class SCA
- 0414 798 028